A JOURNEY OF 1000 MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP...
Saturday, April 30, 2016
Gel Press: Earth Day, Upcycle Coaster
Upcycle a glass coaster using various Gel Press Prints!
Happy Earth Day! Being an Eco-conscious artist, I save all prints and scraps. I create art, recycle and upcycle using what I have made and leftovers! Here is a quick tutorial using prints, scraps and an old glass coaster.
Decorative items like ink pen, stamps, stencils, gel pens, etc.
Glossy Accents – Used because dries clear and doesn’t smear inks
Start with a print and a scrap. Both will be used to upcycle and old glass coaster. Cut both the scrap and the print to fit in the back side of the coaster.
2. Draw/stamp/stencil a hummingbird on the scrap.
3. Use gel pens to enhance the wings.
4. Stamp the word “trust,” is in black permanent ink toward the bottom of the image.
5. Adhere the blue background print to the scrap print. (Glossy Accents is used as an adhesive.) Squeeze a little onto the back side of the coaster. Use a sponge or brush to spread out the medium to fill the area.
6. Place your art face down over the medium and press over the whole surface from the center out. (Note: A small heavy object can be placed to keep paper secure while drying. A small brayer may also be used.)
7. Glue the fibers around the front of the coaster. Let dry.
The coaster can be used as a coaster, or you can glue more accents on the front and place in a small easel as art to display.