The Road Less Traveled

A JOURNEY OF 1000 MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP...

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Altered Arts: Altered CD Cover


Some holiday gift inspiration!  This is my FIRST post for Altered Arts Magazine.  I was recently added to the Design Team with a few other wonderful talents.  Back in the day, I was published a couple times in the magazine but now they have a Design Team and I am thrilled to be a part of it!!!!

Watch on FB, I will be posting some of the published art on my FB page.



I have friends who like inspirational quotes as much as I do.  I decided to make some CD's to give to them.  I wanted the jewel case that holds the CD to match what was inside the case; and of course, to display as art!

I worked both on the back side of the front cover and the front side.  This gives depth and dimension with texture.

Start with a painted design to fit the CD case.  A decorative sheet of paper can be used. if you feel more comfortable with that or you have many gifts to create.  Use a small line of Glossy Accents to make sure the image stays place on the inside.  It will dry clear if you don't put too much Glossy Accents on the surface.

Stamp Dream On Top
Close the CD.  Stamp the word "dream" on the front using a permanent ink.  Clearsnap has their new ink "Colorbox Surfacez."  This ink works effortlessly.  To easily stamp on the CD cover, I fold some scrap paper or cardboard to go inside the CD.  That gives body to the cover and easier to stamp.

Angel Transparency
The angel image is a transparency from Altered Pages. Take the transparency and use a double-sided adhesive sheet (Miracle Tape from Viva Las Vegastamps is good), and remove the first protective sheet.  Mount on backside of image transparency.  Cut out image, remove second protective sheet, and adhere to front of CD case.  Glue a crown charm on her head, and add a floral clear sticker.

Adding Fibers and Elements
Adding the fibers/ribbons to front of the CD case is achieved by drilling 2 holes on towards the top and one towards the bottom.  I use the Fiskars hand drill because I know it won't crack the CD case.  Run the fibers/ribbons through both holes and tie.  Tie beads and charms at bottom.  TIP:  dip ends of fibers in white glue and roll to a point.  Let dry.  Beads will slide up the fiber easier this way.  The cover is finished with 3 buttons glued, and a strip of clear floral stickers.

Add your CD inside, a sentiment and maybe more decorations!

The piece I am showing is just the type of tutorials you will find in the Altered Arts Magazine.  You can order it as either an Ezine or the Magazine in hard copy.  Click the link at the beginning of this post to see the site, and click on the blog link to get even more ideas!!!

This busy time of the year doesn't have to be stressful!  Have fun and celebrate!!!!

Cre8tivlea Yours - Lea


1 comment:

  1. What an AMAZING project!! I have a million of those cases that I have been saving for a project. I just didn't know what to do with them. This is an inspired idea! And, the upcycling is awesome! You used so many techniques and gave such wonderful instructions!! I am so lucky to be working with you!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete