The Road Less Traveled

A JOURNEY OF 1000 MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP...

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Vintage Palette Antiques Your Art - USAQ Tutorial # 6

BLOG HOP!  After reading my blog, you will see a link to Lori's blog below.  Click on it and see some more WONDERFUL Vintage Art!!!

VINTAGE BACKGROUNDS

Supplies:

Folio Cardstock (USAQ) (The palette shows wonderfully on both light and dark cardstock)
Water
Paper Towels

Simple Painted Background with paint sponged on stamps and stamped over dried background.


Using USAQ's Vintage Mica Color Palettes, brilliant backgrounds can be created easily to enhance any type art you create.   The Vintage Palette is a new, unique color mix that adds rich, shimmery hues.  If you look at the palette below, you might think there is a silver color, but actually it is a shimmery taupe hue called Aged Champagne (What a perfect name!).  The blue is Shabby Blue, and the Purple is Stormy Sky.  The color descriptions match the shades so eloquently!




There is a touch of sepia color infused with all shades to give it that vintage "POW" of antiqued color. 

OH, I ADORE this palette and will use it alone or with my other Mica Color Palettes!  Shimmer is rich with all the little particles of mica, without looking too gaudy.  It reminds me of old vintage items found in an antique store.

The backgrounds in these photos do not show the shimmer of the mica color paint, but be asured, you get such richness with little glimmers and shimmers of color that even create a metalic look.


This is using the Vintage Palette to enhance a collage.  I took a collage and enhanced the background, sign and part of Anthony Bourdain's chef jacket with various colors in the palette.  The result was so cool!  I did some straight painting and some dry brushing (taking your brush with barely any paint on it - almost dry - and then pulling the brush over the area you wish to paint.  The result will be soft, textured lines of color).  I didnt' use the paint on Anthony's face, I left it as is.  I sealed this project with PPA.

Below, I used a Perfect Brush (3/4" size) and did broad strokes with the bristles saturated with water and color from the Vintage Palette.

Again, this photo does not show the shimmer, the shimmer will be muted just slightly as it is watered down but still enough to enhance and create such a wonderfullly antiqued look.

I did use another Mica Color Palette to get a more yellow-gold tone and then lightly went over the gold hue from the Vintage Palette.  The blue from the palette and Seagreen Blue as well as Vintage Red mixed with the Sepia Veil added custom colors I wanted for the look.  Don't be afraid to mix colors and play!  The well in the middle of the palette is made just for that reason.  The words are a rub on that can be applied after the piece dries. 



Anything is possible if you think outside the box!!!  For this piece, a tribute to my artist/carpenter father who passed in 2005, I created a background on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of cardstock using USAQ's Texture Sponge.   After creating the background, I cut and then scanned in the paper on my computer and did a digital collage!!  This was so fun to do!  And best of all, I still have the original paper to use for another project!




You can almost see the shimmer and glimmer on the top of this canister in this photo, but in real life it is magnificent!  Did I paint over metal??  No!  I painted on cardboard container that I received a sample of Crystal Light's new Power Drink!!  If you saw this in person, you would swear that this is metal not cardboard.  It has hues mostly of Copper Pipe but then Sepia Veil and the Moss Green to give a patina look.  See how these palettes transform your art?!  Look at the gold and the Sepia Veil in the palette, how cool is that?  The paper to the left is where I wiped off my brush and when you look at that, you could use it for art too.  It has little flecks of mica dancing on the surface.

Backgrounds are just one way to use these palettes, there are tons and tons of other ways to paint, enhance, and explore the expression that is your art.

Now join the blog hop and follow this link to Lori's page.  Keep clicking the links to see the wonderfully beautiful Vintage Art from all the USAQ DT!!!   http://www.ibeenthinkinboutinkin.blogspot.com/

21 comments:

  1. So pretty Lea!! Off to check out the other blogs! Fun hop!
    Sharon Field

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty Lea! Love the Vintage Palette, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Just love the shimmer to these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these - love the shimmer and the vintage colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome projects! Love the piece you turned digital!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, you are an awesome instructor, as well as creative designer. Your descriptions are simply the best and your projects inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous range of shimmery colours! Love these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty. I'm having such fun on this blog hop and finding new blogs like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are just stunning examples of painting. I never think to pull these out and use them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pieces Lea, the colours on this palette are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already have most of the Palettes. Looks like I might need to get the vintage one too. Really nice colors. And beautiful work Lea. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I'm back again Lea. I am trying to travel the blog in the "right" order. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've shown us some wonderful ways to use these new colours! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all this shimmery metalic goodness. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have thought that container lid was real metal, great projects and Love the tribute to your Dad! I need some of that PPA!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your collages, Lea. And that cardboard container sure looks like metal to me! Now, you've also got me interested in Crystal Light power drinks. Might have to try that...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed looking at your projects and reading the detailed descriptions of how you used the products.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found your blog via Cathy's and just love how you have used the mica palettes. I just saw the vintage set on the USAQ website (I have the other palettes and love playing with them). So, I have started my Birthday and Christmas wish list and guess what is on the top??? I loved all your pieces... thanks for sharing your creativity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous .. love the shimmerry effect on the backgrounds.. must dig out my mica palette hidden in a drawer! Thank you for showing :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. How much fun you had trying all those different things!!! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete