The Road Less Traveled

A JOURNEY OF 1000 MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP...

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Summer is Flowering All Over! USArtQuest Design Team Project #1


Blog Hop PRIZE!
To help celebrate our first design team project, we are so excited to have you participate in the USAQ Blog Hop! To be eligible to win the fabulous prize being offered, you will need to start at the beginning, which is Sarah's blog, and visit each blog on the hop  (leave a comment on my blog as well). You must Leave a Comment On Each Designer's Blog by 11:59 EST, Sunday, June 27th.  This wonderful prize is a tin filled with the very materials used in these projects! The drawing will take place on Monday, June 28th. Here is a complete list of our design teams blogs (just in case you get lost).
Sarah Anderson
Suzi Blu
Jessica Griffin
Jan Hennings
Terri Sproul
Julie Ranae
Connie Vogt
USAQ Blog
                                     ********************************************

Looking outside my window, I noticed all the beautiful flowers blooming.  Flowers of all types with stunning colors! 

My first project for the USArtQuest Design Team reflects my feelings about these picturesque flowers.

Draw and Gild is a wonderful kit that includes almost all the materials you will need for this project.  The kit even comes in a tin that you can use to design on!  While I love to draw, no drawing experience is necessary!  Use your computer to print patterns to work with (The kit instructions give details on how to do this.).  Not only can you use Duo Adhesive in the pen, but Mica Color Watercolors as well.


Materials:
Draw and Gild Kit (USArtQuest):
Great Tape (USArtQuest)
Red Metallic Paper (LSS)
Image of Iris (Digi stamp, illustration, or hand drawn)
Container with Water
Scissors
Covered Work Area

1.  Following instructions in kit package, print a pattern of your choice using your computer.  I drew an iris outline lightly with pencil and added the extra elements for my picture.

2.  Paint the iris, background, and leaves, first with various colors with the Stargazer Mica Color Palette.  To get the paint ready, dip your brush into water, and add to the color you are using.  I either do this a couple times or use a water spritzer and spritz the color I want to use.  Let the water absorb for at least 30-60 seconds, and then swirl your brush into the color.  The consistency of the paint will be creamy and not watery.  At that point the paint is ready to use.  Optional:  I like to mix colors to create new shades.  While it is not necessary, it is fun to experiment.  The center, empty well of the palette is made for this use.

3.  Fill the reservoir of the Fine Line Pen with Duo Embellishing Adhesive.  If you get a bubble, refer to the simple kit instructions that tell you how to remedy this. To get the flow of the adhesive started, tap the pen lightly on a scrap piece of paper.  Follow your pattern and trace over your image.  The Duo Adhesive is white when it is wet but when it is dried and ready, the adhesive is clear.  As Sue says, " If it's white it's not right, if it's clear it adheres."  Make sure all the areas are clear before you go to the next step.



4.  Now to gild with Gildenglitz!  I like to put my Gildenglitz into a plastic container so that it is easy to use and the container catches all the extra little bits and pieces (Called gilding fines.).  Each kit contains a color of Sparkling Mica Powder Pigment.  If you'd like to add a bit of the color before gilding, pick up some on a dry brush and tap onto the area you want.  Pick out the colors of gilding you would like to use and apply to the surface.  You will notice how it sticks to the clear, tacky areas where you drew adhesive with the liner pen.  Take your texture sponge and start to brush off the mica powder, then pick up the card and tilt it into the container brushing and burnishing the surface.  Like magic you see your image come to life with metallic shimmer that further accents the pearlized glimmer of the mica watercolors.  Remove all the excess bits and polish your card using the Appliquate.   

5.  Cut out the flower image.  Apply Great Tape to the back and mount it to the black Folia cardstock.  Trim the black Folia cardstock.  Mount the metallic paper to the back of the black Folia cardstock.  Trim the paper if necessary.

 






Plant the seeds of creativity and watch them grow!  Blossom as you try new techniques. 









77 comments:

  1. Nice job Lea and fast work on that keyboard ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous! Don't you just love gildenglitz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog hop! I'm really enjoying the different ways people have been using the gilding tool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am absolutely loving this draw and gild gadget! Thanks for the BlogHop generosity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to put the gildenglitz into its own container! For years Ive just stuck my hand into the bag of gold leaf and never thought there would be a better way. *runs out to find perfect container now. Beautiful flowers xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is beautiful! I love flowers, so delicate, bright and full of life!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great and inspiring products on this first summerday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work! I've used many of the products you mentioned and I love them! Your card is beautiful. And love the tip about the container! Thanks for sharing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That photo under #3 above shows how easy it looks to use this cool new tool. Thanks for sharing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. Now I need to learn how to use that new tool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lea, you are amazing! Beautiful artwork, love the flowers, beautiful blog, love the layout, beautiful lady, love the heart and soul.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! Love how this shines!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. I might have to pick this kit up, unless I win it of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks like a very exciting new project that is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great I love a blog hop where I learn new things and can win a prize!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lea, lovely stuff. Iris' are one of my favorite flowers. Excellent choice! Thanks for the idea of starting with a computer generated image.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really nice. I love the effect of using the darker paper.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And thanks for showing extra examples!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful...definitely makes me want to play with these products!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cool blog hop! Wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow great technique thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd like to thank everyone who posted a comment. I wanted to thank everyone personally; but didn't have an outlet to do so. Good luck on the chance of winning the Blog Hop, I just adore the Draw and Gild kit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous projects, all of them! Awesome prize too! Thanks for sharing all the possibilities, ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the Iris! Is the pen hard to clean?

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fab projects, just love them. Thanks for sharing and for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like fun and what an outcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful flowers! I love the gilding on dark backgrounds. Thank you for sharing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your flowers! What a fun new tool!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my! that fine pen looks like a delight to use!!!! I've falling in love with art tools!!!

    I love what you did with the kit

    ReplyDelete
  30. GORGEOUS projects! Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lea this is gorgeous and WTG on the launch of your Design Team!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. How fun! pleas put my name in the hat for the drawing! getkoneckted@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. How exciting! Love learning new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Here for the blog hop! So glad to see all these artistic blogs. Lovely work and love your blog! :D I am now following :D
    Cheers!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looking forward to seeing more if what you can do with this tool. Thanks for the opportunity to win one.

    ReplyDelete
  36. oh Lea! Thank you for your visit! It made my day! I appreciate it so much! Keep making beautiful art and thank you so much! You are so sweet! big hugs!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for your teachings and also the BlogHop that you, Suzi and other women artists are sharing
    Crystal
    http://crystalscreations-stillwatersgallery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful artwork!! I've never heard of Draw and Gild... looks Very interesting and FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Another beautiful piece and another "must have stamp"!! I do so hope my usual lack of luck changes and I win this Blog Hop as the kit doesn't appear to be available yet in UK.

    Caz

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow this is just gorgeous, you are so talented and i love the kit
    Hugs June xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Flowers are my favorite! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  42. WOW! This is just stunning and just love that gild gadget. I've never seen this before, but it looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I don't suppose you know where I can get a fine line pen in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love the gilding on black...gotta try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I must try gilding wether I win the blog hop or not! Another great project, and what a great blog hop this is!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow I love that iris and I definitely need one of those tools. Thanks for some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love the technique you posted. Thanks for sharing your creativity and giving us a chance to win the kit!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for dropping by my blog and yes I love the chinese take-out container but read the above. I just wish I could draw.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is such a wonderful idea. It is going to be a wonderful purchase, too. I am certainly enjoying the fun.

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your flowers are beautiful! I find myself salvitating over the thought of getting this kit. You guys create some wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Susan, I noticed you are in Swansea, IL. I live in St. Louis. There was no posts for me to comment on your site but I'll come back to visit it soon. Lots going on in St. Louis to express your art (You probably know!) Thank you for your comments and good luck with the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  52. These flowers look so beautiful...

    By the way, I'm participating in the boghop, but on your blog I cannot use the username and url I used on all the other blogs! So to be clear, this is Lavender, http://lavender.punt.nl.

    ReplyDelete
  53. What lovely projects using the gilding! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  54. WOW--I'm amazed at all these projects! And that tool--I've seen it before (or something like it) for wax covered projects or designs on silk....it looks like it is easy to use and FUN! I love that;) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Lea, the fine line tool pen looks very interesting to work with. Would like to try it on encaustic wax, too.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  56. gorgeous! love the pen concept

    ReplyDelete
  57. Awesomely beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Your cards are gorgeous!! Thanks for the instructions!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Beautiful! Thanks for the details and tips on using the different products.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Don't you just love seeing your creations come to life with creamy watercolor and guild? I do!!! Love having instructions. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I love mixed media, so it's fun to do this little blog hop and see what everyone is doing. Thanks for the opportunity to win the Gilding tool.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I absolutely love the iris flower the colours are so beautiful. I just bought an amazing tin with iris's on from a charity shop and put up pictures in my blog of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  63. lovely example on this blog hop! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  64. What fabulous projects to show some more ways to use the leafing. That's definitely a must have tool kit.

    I've always loved leafing but this blog hop is definitely giving me lots of new ideas.

    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  65. Love the usartquest materials and you make such gorgeous stuff with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Lea! I love your colorful sparkly flowers! I would love to
    try your instructions!

    ReplyDelete