The Road Less Traveled

A JOURNEY OF 1000 MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP...

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Draw and Gild in More Ways


Now that we have the blog hop in full swing (see below to win a Draw and Gild kit worth $29.99), I wanted to add a few more ideas of art I've done with gilding.

I belong on many groups where artists use a die cut machine of their choice; and many use the 2 major softwares out there SCAL2 or MTC so they can create their own files.

I made a Chinese Take Out Box and cut it out on my machine.  Then I drew some Asian motifs with the Chinese symbol for "peace," and gilded it with the fine line pen.  For a more finished look you can add a bead or two to the wire handle or hang fibers or even an Asian tassle.  Great little box for Gifts.  Easy to do. 



I am very much into wax/encaustics with the added elements of texture with mixed-media design.  Here is a Hot Wax background with a gilded design on top.  I adore laminate chips (perfect ATC size) and have a drawer filled with them.

When you use the fine line pen on wax, you only have to go lightly over the surface.  The pen glides over the wax! 

15 comments:

  1. How cute is your takeout box?? So neat and your tag is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to play with hot wax. Something about it sounds fun, and exciting! Not to mention NEW!! Love your take out box as well!! xo

    PS: Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about the paper... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning new techniques and really want to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job, Lea...great post : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your help on how to find a fine line pen here, hopefully I'll have some luck. (Sorry I couldn't find how to send you a reply message)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I am doing the blog hop. Thank-you so much. I love all gilded art work.
    Sherrie Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lea these are both so gorgeous, what a great idea the chinese box is and looks stunning with your drawings in gilt.
    also love your second piece. I am not sure what laminate chips are but love the effect this has and i am also a big fan of encaustics. you inspire me
    hugs June xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lea, you have shown the fine line pen to be a workhorse!!! Excited to learn one could even use it with encaustics. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol, elderberry - I tend to mostly go for tools and items I can use in many ways for many projects. It sure is a workhorse :-) Thank you for your kind comment. Just remember with wax, go lightly over the surface and wash the pen well when done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!!! I havent tried Hot Wax yet, I need to take a class as I don't have a clue. Great kit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this my Shari??? lol If it is, I can come over anytime and teach you. If not, let me know where you live and maybe I can set up a class. Thank you for your kind comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS IS A FABULOUS TAG! I LOVE THE VIBRANT COLOURS.

    ONE THING THO'...WHEN YOU UPLOAD YOUR IMAGES, select the medium or large size ...SO WE CAN SEE THEM in all their glory...vbg.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok Barb!!! I will post larger! Didn't want to take up all the room on the post, lol. Thank you for your wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the box! What a charming idea. You are so creative and I'm hoping to use your box idea for family reunion gifty gifts. The tag is FABULOUS (as is everything you do.)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete